Build in 1930 by John William “J.W.” Hornsby, the Georgian-style home and property represent a sanctuary of over 100 years of Hornsby and Bowditch family hospitality and tradition. Situated on Main Street overlooking the York River and Liberty as she stands high atop the Yorktown Monument, the home is a historic Yorktown landmark.
J.W. Hornsby purchased the property and commenced design and construction of the home amidst the bustling of the early re-construction of Colonial Williamsburg, only miles away. As the father of six children, it was his decision to build a grand home overlooking the York River to serve as a residence for his family and a commonplace of southern hospital to his friends and business associates.
The home was designed by William Graves Perry of Perry, Shaw & Hepburn, with consultation from Fiske Kimball. Both Perry and Kimball served as lead architects under the direction of John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin who led the restoration and reconstruction of Colonial Williamsburg beginning in 1928.J.W. Hornsby’s wife, Georgiana White, decorated the house with both American and English antiques she collected during her travels and today, many of these antiques still fill the Inn.
Join us at The Hornsby House Inn to see the history of the home in a truly historic part of America.